website design software

Welcome to the website of the 125th Scottish Chess Championships and International Open

Scottish Champion, Junior Champion and winner of the International Open

Murad Abdulla  8/9

Senior Champion  Walter Buchanan & Roddy McKay

Girls’ Champion  Rachel Smith

Scottish Blitz Champion  Murad Abdulla

Championships Rapidplay Winner Andrew Muir, Calum MacQueen

Quality Chess Championships Blitz Winner Mishra Swayams

 

Buildings

Town Hall

The George A. Clark Town Hall was officially opened in January 1882 among great celebrations. A procession made its way through the decorated streets, and at night there was a firework display.

The impressive building became a landmark in Paisley. The taller of the two towers, with its sculptured figures representing the four seasons, housed a clock and a chime of bells which could play a different tune for every day of the month.

Gilmour St Station

Paisley Gilmour Street railway station is the largest of the four stations serving the town of Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland, and acts as the town's principal railway station.

It is a Grade 2 listed building.

Russell Institute

Miss Agnes Russell donated the Russell Institute building to the then Paisley Burgh on 19th March 1927. Miss Russell had the building constructed as a memorial to her two bachelor brothers, Robert and Thomas Russell (R. & T. Russell, Solicitors) who had died in 1923 and 1920.

John Neilson

 

The John Neilson Institution, or the Porridge bowl as its affectionately known, is now converted into flats, however its start in life was somewhat different. John Neilson of Nethercommon (1778 - 1839) had been a successful grocer in the town. In 1839, before he died, he set up a trust deed to build and endow a school. By 1852 a school had been built on the site of a bowling green, to the design of Charles Wilson. To gain entry boy pupils had to have lived in Paisley for three years and their parents had to either be poor or dead. Some of the school rules issued to pupils on the opening day were as follows:

  1. Can not carry Gunpowder
  2. Can not carry firearms
  3. Pupils were strictly prohibited from using tobacco

Paisley Grammar

The school was founded in 1576.  The current building was started in 1996 and opened in 1898.

Fire Station

The creation of a Fire Brigade in Paisley is dated as being 1677 when the Town Council of the day appointed that "six Iron Cleiks to be made for pulling down of houses in caise of Fire and to cause buy and maike to ladders", prior to this fire fighting equipment consisted of 24 Leather buckets!  The old fire station pictured dates from the end of the 19th century.  It closed in 1973 and was for a time used by local churches but has recently been sold. It featured in the BBC’s “Homes Under the Hammer”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Home] [Entry] [Special Events] [Entries] [Paisley] [Accommodation] [Directions] [Things to Do] [Champions] [Rules] [Junior International]